Kilada

KILADADistance from Ermioni: 13 kms/12 mins

Kilada is a picturesque traditional fishing village located in Ermionida, not far from Kranidi and Ermioni.  The village is famous for its two traditional shipbuilding and boat construction yards, the boatyards still continue to make and repair traditional wooden fishing boats, as well as maintaining modern luxury yachts for the residing yachting community.  Kilada is scenic and peaceful and a perfect setting for a holiday 'away from it all'.  It is where you can eat freshly caught fish in many of the village tavernas and restaurants.  The village has a small local beach, with an ajoining cafe-bar, which can be reached just past the large church at the far end of the harbour.  However, within 1 km of the village centre, one can enjoy swimming and bathing at Lepitsa beach, which is one of the best sandy beaches in the whole Ermionida area, with taverna and cafe next to the beach. 

One of the festivals that Kilada is famous for is the annual 'Fishermans Fiesta' that takes place in early August.  The local residents, who are mostly involved in fishing, organize a lavish drinking and eating festival with assorted fish and seafood accompanied by local wines. The whole evening is enjoyed by all with dancing and live music, where occasionally famous artists are invited to perform.  There is a small charge made to cover some of the expenses, but just be prepared to stay up late if you plan to attend. 

Opposite the village of Kilada, across the bay, next to the privately owned Island of Koronida, is the famous 35,000 year old pre-historic Franchthi Cave, now confirmed as the oldest continuously inhabited cave dwelling in the whole of Europe.  The route to the cave is marked with faded red arrows, starting from the far end of the Franchthi beach. The Archaeological School of Indiana University carried out extensive excavations from 1967 until 1976.  From this research they found the oldest complete human skeleton in Europe, dating back to 23,000 BC, as well as other evidence, revealing the way prehistoric man lived.  There were many findings, and most are on display in the Archaeological Museum of the Peloponnese, in Nafplio.

Ancient Mases, Kilada's original name, later became part of the old Hermionis Kingdom, ruled from the ancient city of Hermione, and used as a secondary Western port.  According to Homer, Mases (Kilada) also participated in the Trojan War, 1194 - 1184 BC, under the command of the Argive King Diomedes. 

Location

Kilada
Ermionida Argolida Peloponnese
Greece
37° 24' 56.7936" N, 23° 7' 32.232" E
Picture Gallery
Kilada - Village view from across the bay Kilada - Traditional boat building yards Kilada - Traditional fishing boats Kilada - Traditional fishing boats Kilada - Mending the fishing nets Kilada - Mending the fishing nets Kilada - Childrens play-area Kilada - Typical village street Kilada - Village beach Kilada - Village beach Kilada - View of Koronida Island Kilada - Lepitsa beach Kilada - Doroufi beach Kilada - Franchthi beach Kilada - Approach to Franchthi cave Kilada - Franchthi cave